Smokey Chipotle and Sweet Squash…The Perfect Combo!
If you’re in the mood for decadent flavor with a kick, I’ve got the perfect dish to share! For over a year I’ve wanted to try Robin Asbell’s Puree of Squash and Millet Soup with Chipotle and tonight I put the recipe to the test. This delicious and rich soup made from the simplest ingredients will give your taste buds a run for their money, all while filling your body with vitamins and antioxidants. With millet and butternut squash being the two main ingredients, they work together like they were made for one another. After creating a silky, smooth puree, add a couple (or few) minced chipotle chilies in adobo sauce for a major punch to this meal.
Some of the key health benefits from this soup include Vitamin A, Vitamin B3 and B6, magnesium (helps fight against heart attacks) and fiber. You can feel confident that you’re treating your body well all while enjoying a fun and entertaining meal.
Puree of Squash and Millet Soup with Chipotle
1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups cubed butternut squash (about half of a small squash)
½ cup millet
3 cups vegetable stock
1 cup soymilk or other milk
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cumin
1-4 chipotle chile(s) in adobo sauce, minced (the more the spicier)
¼ cup cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Set a 2-qt saucepan over medium heat, and when hot, add the oil. Add the onions and sauté until softened, then lower the heat and cook slowly until the onions are golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the squash and millet and raise the heat, stirring until the millet is hot and the squash is lightly browned. Add the stock, bring to a boil, and lower the heat to the lowest setting. Cover and cook until the millet is completely broken apart and porridge, about 40 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer the soup to a blender or food processor. (You can alternatively use a hand mixer for this part) Puree the mixture thoroughly, then gradually add the soymilk and continue to blend. Add the salt and cumin and mix.
- Put the soup back in the saucepan if you used the processor. Stir the chipotle into the soup with smoky flavor.
- Serve each bowl garnished with the cilantro.
Enjoy and let me know what you think!